Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Coach Pulling Our Son's NLI"

I've written it before, and I''ll write it again:

A big part of the "homework" TPM references is having in-depth conversations with current/recent players and their families. Seek out opportunities to engage them in honest discussion without the coaches present and use those opportunities to test the coaches' assertions that are of greatest significance to you.

We did that and ended up finding it very useful. During my son's recruitment, a head coach admitted that his offer was lower than he wanted it to be because of some unexpected choices by some of his current players. However, he went on to tell us that if my son made the contribution they thought he was capable of making, they'd remedy that as funds in the scholarship pool became available.

Given the significance of his comments, we tested them in subsequent conversation with players and their parents, and we were told by several that he'd made good on such comments to others in the past.

My son accepted, and his head coach subsequently came through exactly as he'd said; systematically over the course of my son's time there.

Trust, but verify. Always.