Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Pitching Coaches"

Thanks.  I think it is vital to feel loved and appreciated within a program with the coaches that you will have to be around.  My son was really concerned about not being the flame thrower that he saw in most SEC school guys.  The first comments from Coach Anderson was don't worry about your speed if you can control your fastball and offspeed stuff.  I will never forget.  He held up a pen and pointed it at my son and said can you hit this pen head from the mound to home plate.  Son said give me three tries and I know I can.  I thought that sounded cocky when it came out of my son's mouth but Coach A said with that confidence you will be okay.  Coach Vitello has drawn a lot of negativity especially from other coaches and there were those who trashed him to us which is a no no to me and my son.  Talk about yourself but don't trash another coach or school.  He was a new HC in the SEC and yet he was the one who personally recruited my son.  Flew all over the Southeast to watch him pitch and be seen.  That was impressive to us.  Each coaching staff does it their own way and each parent and player is looking for something different.  What works for one, positive or negative, does not work for another.

I think most campuses are great.  Didn't mean to come across downing GT but it is not in the greatest location but knowing the area well I know the campus and local facilities are relatively safe.  Sent a football player of mine when I was coaching HS football to GT and he loved it once he got used to the Big City.  Learned where to go and where not to go and when he could go places and when he could not.  The problems come when students decide to walk to nearby places or go downtown at night.  Hope he enjoys his time in Atlanta.