Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 probable redshirt...should he stay or should he go?"

3and2Fastball posted:

To the OP:  this is where it can be extremely helpful to have a few very trusted advisors that can steer a kid in the correct direction.  Often this can be a Travel Ball coach or a hitting/pitching instructor or a trusted friend who is a scout or college coach.  Someone who can tell you guys the truth, even if the truth is tough to hear.

Either the kid is not a good fit at this particular D1, or just not D1 material at all.  I like the JUCO route, because it can open up the recruiting again to D1's after a year or two and it can give time for further development.

It is important for this kid to understand that this sort of thing happens fairly frequently.

Thanks...I will be consulting with our inner circle over the next few days.  I have learned so much on these boards that I wanted to get your input as well.  He may not be D1 material...only time will tell.  We were told by many evaluators that he was a mid major D1 prospect.  Talented kid with a good bit of upside.  It has helped me to read on this board how often this happens.  I was disappointed to say the least when I received the call from the head coach.  Your comments are very helpful.  Thanks!