Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 probable redshirt...should he stay or should he go?"

How long ago did he commit?   Did he have other D1 offers or at least serious interest?  If yes, then I'd assume he can find a spot at a D1....considering he's now probably at least a year older (and likely stronger) than when he was initially recruited.  Whether it's right away or after a year at a smaller school is up to him.   I'm not an expert, but I think he can be released from his NLI due to the coaching change, but I'm not sure if it qualifies that it was an assistant, not the HC.   I can tell you that at my son's mid-major, being a redshirted as a freshman would make it really, really hard even if it he was redshirted as a recruit they really wanted, which you have said isn't the case.  "Proving a coach wrong" is basically impossible.  He's already said there isn't a spot for your son the following year, so he's recruting for that year based on that expectation leaving no spot for your son even if the coach did somehow change his mind.   Tough situation, but I think I'd just move on and hope for the best elsewhere