Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 probable redshirt...should he stay or should he go?"

3and2Fastball posted:

To the OP:  this is where it can be extremely helpful to have a few very trusted advisors that can steer a kid in the correct direction.  Often this can be a Travel Ball coach or a hitting/pitching instructor or a trusted friend who is a scout or college coach.  Someone who can tell you guys the truth, even if the truth is tough to hear.

Either the kid is not a good fit at this particular D1, or just not D1 material at all.  I like the JUCO route, because it can open up the recruiting again to D1's after a year or two and it can give time for further development.

It is important for this kid to understand that this sort of thing happens fairly frequently.

Good point and I will share with him that this is not personal even though it most likely will feel that way.  Over the years we have always sought outside opinion in order to help keep expectation real and not inflated by hopes and and dreams.  He has been evaluated by people who know baseball from Virginia to Florida and I have followed their guidance regarding where he fits.