Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Roster sizes and Cuts."

Some of the over-recruiting at the D1 level has to do with coaches being on the hot seat.  The more stable the program, the more entrenched the HC is, the less need (and less likelihood) for over-recruiting.  Not to pick on Wichita State but they are a good case in point. Todd Butler's chair is warm and not coincidentally they have already signed 17 recruits for 2018.  Simple math will tell you that half of those wont be around for long. I have said this before but I will say it again - evaluating baseball talent is not easy.  Once you get past the very best players (that everyone agrees are great) it is a crapshoot.  That's why so much emphasis is put on measurables - because they are tangible. That way if a kid doesn't pan out the RC can fall back on "well he threw 90, so it made sense to give him a chance." But good measurables don't mean that a player is good in game situations.  It just increases the probability. I have seen plenty of OF's that run a 6.5 sixty and throw to the wrong base - or run the bases like a 7.0 guy.  So when in doubt (or just because they can) many schools will bring in 20 guys in the fall, look at all of them for 3 months and then keep the 10 they want.  I don't like it, but that's the way it is.