Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 schools to be able to pay athletes?"

Thanks.  I appreciate the different perspectives.  Not sure where this is going, but certainly understand where it came from.   By the time I'm a grandparent with a recruited grandchild this will all be figured out.

What scares me a little bit is we have three dysfunctional organizations jockeying for position including the NCAA, State Gov't, and most likely Fed Govt.  Certainly any level of govt has better things to do these days.   Caught in the middle is the student athlete, and the non-D1 P5 schools who struggle with revenue as state schools have seen a decline in their funding from state govts.  It is going to take some time to fully figure this out.  I'm reminded of an old Will Rogers quote:  "Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government We're Paying For."

I'm still waiting to see how this change or inflection point is going to educationally benefit our US students to compete in the world.  It seems to me as a country we've taken our eye off the ball.   Currently, college athletics is a time management high wire act that balances learning and playing a sport.  I just feel this new future model for paying (outright) student athletes is going to demand more time away from studies and put this education vs athletics out of balance...it is going to be much more about the money (short term gratification) and little to do with long-term life skills.   We need more smart & educated people to compete with other countries (you know who they are).  The rest of the world is catching up or has caught up depending on your perspective.

Until we see how this change is going to educationally benefit NCAA student athletes this announcement is just lipstick on the pig.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth