Skip to main content

Reply to "D2 recruiting question -"

hopefulmom posted:

Is this truly an offer or because they aren't offering any athletic money to speak of, they are just saying he can come be a member of the team and there are no true "commitments"? I'm trying to assess if this is logical for him to not have money to offer or is he saving his money for someone else he wants more?

The coach probably has limited scholarships funds available (or none at this point).  D2's are limited to 9 full scholarships spread out however he wants and that assumes they are fully funded.

Like RJM posted the coach is interested, but there's no offer on the table.

Son played for a D2 (out of state).   At the time he was recruited they were fully funded, but in the following years the funding dropped to only 5-6 full scholarships.  FWIW my son was offered a scholarship (73% of the tuition) coming out of JuCo.

Check the roster from last year.  I'll bet there are quite a few JuCo and D1 transfers.  The year my son played at the D2 he was among 6-7 JuCo transfers out of roster of about 30.  They did have a "tryout" in the fall, but no walk-on's made the fall or spring squad unless the coach specifically recruited them.

Just be aware that some D2's over recruit and some don't.