Skip to main content

Reply to "D2 recruiting question -"

hopefulmom posted:

And that's exactly it - it helps knowing someone knows the coach and the program. My son is excited to have genuine interest and we are trying to guide him a little so that he isn't jumping into a situation that can turn badly. We have him signed up to do the PBR GPA games in August and I am hopeful there will be some academic schools there that will garner some interest as well. 

Always appreciate everyone's opinions! Sometimes it's not what you want to hear but it helps to keep things in perspective. Definitely learning a lot in this process and this website has been extremely helpful.

D2 coaches offer most of their athletic scholarships to JUCO or former D1 players and to seniors who have made an impact in their program.  They recruit differently than D1 programs and spend their 9 scholarships if fully funded, frugally.

I don't think that the coach offered excuses, but was being honest.  If the program is like the one son was a p coach at, they finalize in the fall.  Many of the D2 programs here in FL are private with 40 -50k a year so academic and needs based is essential for many.

If he wishes to enroll in premed, a D3 may be a better option. Just keep the lines of communication open and keep doing what you guys have mapped out for the summer.

Good luck.