Skip to main content

Reply to "D2 Regionals"

The stream announcer on the Tampa-UCSD game commented that 23 of 25 players on Tampa's playoff roster were transfers.  Hard to verify since the rosters on the CWS site had the full 35 man rosters for the teams, not the playoff 25.  But I did notice some of the kids on the team are now on their third school.  More D1 dropdowns than any school's roster that I looked at this year. 

That approach has obviously worked very well for that coach and program, as they have been the most dominant D2 program over the past 20 years.  Kids who are not getting playing time in D1 schools are bound to be attracted to Tampa if they are thinking about transferring.  And there is a better chance they could get drafted seeing playing time at Tampa versus riding the pine at an SEC school. 

I get why Tampa's strategy works so well with a great coach who can attract the right talent.  But obviously it is not an option for a lot of D2 programs that emphasize academics and have high admission standards for transfer acceptance.  And it is bound to be a different experience for the players in that kind of revolving door program versus kids who spend 3-4 years at a school with many of the same teammates.  Just another example that college baseball teams come in all shapes and sizes.