Skip to main content

Reply to "D2 Undrafted"

I think what you are asking is:  will your kid’s career end in college because he’s going D2, right?

Again, there are tons of factors beyond stats.  Part of it is proving oneself in a great summer wood bat league.  

Can a player hit 96 mph+?  Does their mechanics/body/athleticism translate to potential in MLB?  How’s their character and work ethic?

A lot of players can hit college pitching but can’t hit with wood and/or can’t hit pro caliber pitching.

In D2 & D3 the variety of pitching you will face is vast.  You can really build up stats against fastballs of 80-90 and that has zero relevance to pro scouts

Well, my kid is an incoming freshman. I'm not thinking about after school for him. That's getting way ahead. He has to first survive the first semester of freshman year, the first baseball season, etc. That just gets him into a good position for sophomore year. And, it's still a long way to go from there. I have no misguided thoughts about baseball after college. This isn't a personal question for me.

More so, just thinking about the D2 player in general. Personally, I think cutting the draft to 20 rounds has really hurt them - if their goal was to get drafted.

Seems like rounds 21-35 would have been their better shot and now that's gone.

Wouldn't shock me if MLB cut it down to 10 rounds some day. More leverage for them to cut down on bonus money for those not extremely highly touted.