Skip to main content

Reply to "D2 Undrafted"

@Francis7 posted:

Well, my kid is an incoming freshman. I'm not thinking about after school for him. That's getting way ahead. He has to first survive the first semester of freshman year, the first baseball season, etc. That just gets him into a good position for sophomore year. And, it's still a long way to go from there. I have no misguided thoughts about baseball after college. This isn't a personal question for me.

More so, just thinking about the D2 player in general. Personally, I think cutting the draft to 20 rounds has really hurt them - if their goal was to get drafted.

Seems like rounds 21-35 would have been their better shot and now that's gone.

Wouldn't shock me if MLB cut it down to 10 rounds some day. More leverage for them to cut down on bonus money for those not extremely highly touted.

There is only slot money for the Rds 1-10 to begin with. MLB already holds all the leverage, they are the ones cutting the checks.

They just cut 42 minor league teams which doesn't seem like a lot but it's basically 1.5 teams per org. 45 players per org are now gone. No need for another 20 rounds of the draft.