Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Baseball"

Originally Posted by PIS:

The "secret" about D3 baseball seems to be getting out.  Used to be some kids were "D1 or bust", and it may still be for some, but word is out that D3's offer a great brand of baseball, some really fantastic facilities & really great educational opportunity.

"But there are no scholarships"…. is what the uneducated say.  The student athletes with good grades heading to the D3 programs are laughing all the way to the bank!  And none of the monies is related to baseball.  Perfect example is a SS I know from avg public hs received about $25k per year in academic & "leadership" scholarships.  He lasted 1 season on the team.  Still getting that $25k per year!

Well said Rich.  I've been at this for a few years with my sons.  First as a lurker and then a contributor to this site.  I do think the "D3 word" is getting out, but it really is up to baseball adults & parents to understand it and explain it in a way our kids, players and even other adults understand.  

As the high school recruiting world works today, D1 is going to get the attention especially for those top tier programs on TV and in the CWS every year.  My oldest son was fortunate to be recruited across some pretty good schools in both D1 and D3.  Middle son considered D3 opportunities as well, but decided to focus on his major at a state school. There is so much academic money and opportunity out there in the D3 world that it merits serious conversations at the dinner table.  Trust me, I've had more than my share of those D1/D3 "conversations".  I think if you truly believe baseball needs to be an integral part of your 4 year academic experience (and/or year abroad) then D3 could be the answer. JMO.