Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 catcher"

fenwaysouth posted:
JohnT posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
JohnT posted:

I have a question that I hope can get some serious answers. Our son is a sophomore D3 catcher with a pop time consistently sub 2. He’s 6’2 and 180. He’s currently batting .313 with an OBP of .463. What are the chances that he could either move to a D2 or D1 program and how would he go about doing this without reprocussions from his current coach who doesn’t want him to leave. He’s a captain on the team as well. His biggest downfall is he has average speed on the bases 

OK, so my first question is....WHY would he want to do this?  He's got a good thing going.  Most college baseball experiences are not quite this good.  Second question....WHY would he do this if he has to forego his junior year when he has some (possible) leverage in the draft if that is his goal. 

Transferring and sitting out is a huge hassle and risk.  Plenty of posts on HSBBWeb to corroborate that.  If your son is looking for more exposure, I'd suggest he talk to his Head Coach about getting him a shot at the Cape Cod League or other top level summer college league.   This will test his skills plenty.

As always, JMO.

He wants to play at the highest level. He really loves the team and “experience” of playing college ball but he was told that his size stopped him from being a D1/D2 catcher. He was 5’9” his senior year and now over 6’2”. The school he’s at loved everything about him. His coach has told the guys that D3 is a good program (we have 2 top 25 schools in our conference). He has asked the coach for help getting to the next level and has been told that no D3 players go higher. He was clocked in game at 1.93 pop time and is 17/21 throwing guys out. Just wanted to see if it’s realky not pissible for D3 players to move up...

Understood.  But let's step back for some perspective.   Your sophomore son is doing very well where he is, but not necessarily dominating D3 pitching when he hits.  So, my oldest son had a college teammate that was tearing up his D1 conference hitting his sophomore year (>.300 avg) and led the league in HRs and RBIs.   He has a gun in right field as well, and loved take "greedy singles" out at second base.  Pro scouts started showing up every weekend.  The following year, he wasn't getting the same pitches and it was a totally different.  Word got around the league pretty quickly.  His hitting numbers suffered, he led the league in strikeouts and there were no scouts showing up.   Take my story for what it is worth.   Also, I don't understand your comment about when your son asked for help...is that about transferring or is that about college summer ball?  Again, please let me make a suggestion.   It is going to be far easier and less risky for your son to "constantly pester" his HC for a shot at a top level college summer league or make the request himself than it is to go through the transferring and sit out process.   You have no idea what a college program is like unless you are in it.

Good luck, and as always JMO.

....  Then the coaching staff changes and it’s a different program.