Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Coach talking to Admissions"

C24 posted:

I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if anyone can tell me how interested they think the coach is.

C24, you are probably aware that there are no roster size limits in D3 baseball. That can mean that the coach's interest in you may not align with your interests in the program. He may want your strong academic credentials filling a roster spot, or your parents' ability to pay tuition, or a bullpen catcher, etc. I assume that you're looking for a fair chance to earn playing time.

Unfortunately, most of the onus is on you to evaluate your chances of playing there. The coach may want you, but is this school a good fit for you on the baseball side? That can be difficult to figure out, but it can be done. Have you attended any of this team's games? Do you know anyone who's played there? Have you checked roster size? Talked to any of the players?

It mostly boils down to... are you as good as the kid who currently has the job? Not just framing, or blocking. The first priority is hitting (average and power, more is better). After hitting, a strong arm is important. Then durability. If the current catcher is a contributor (not a superstar), and you can see yourself playing at his level or above in a couple of years, then there's a good chance you could play there, too. If not, you may have trouble getting on the field.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.