Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Coach talking to Admissions"

C24 posted:

infielddad - yes, he has seen me play in my team's most recent tournament.  Second, the requests came from the coach, in addition to the UV being scheduled by him.  Third, I have not seen the team play, but they won their conference and were in an NCAA regional this year.  He has told me that he sees me as a very good defensive catcher, and that I will hit for more average than power at that level.

Thanks for this update.  Does this program have a Fall ball schedule? If so, could you either reschedule your UV until then, or confirm a second UV with the coach so you can see them play and watch the coaches coach? 

While there might be some variability, making a Regional by winning their conference means they are darn good and well coached.

You will have to compete at a high level, higher than you have to date (much higher probably). I don't say this to scare you away but rather to challenge yourself and to provide some backdrop for your discussions with the coach. 

Questions like what do you like about me defensively and what specifically  can I do to be better in framing, receiving, blocking, controlling pitchers, etc is one line of possible discussion and  questions.

Similar questions would relate to hitting...what would I need to do to hit with more power. How do you see me being able to contribute in your lineup if I do those things.  What improvement do I need to make to challenge for innings as a freshman?

Finally, do you have a frame of reference from talking with other college coaches.  Honestly, some will find every reason not to like you.  Some will find every reason to like you.  While you are pretty early in terms of D3 for a 2018, trying to get more information about whether this coach is excited you are on his recruit list and feels you will contribute and, as Cabbage indicated, replace his returning catcher should be your goal.  You don't need all the answers at one time.  You want this coach to know you want to be as good as his All Region catcher and whether he thinks you can get there and how you would do that, in his eyes and experience.

One really important aspect might actually occur after the UV. That would be  when he calls you next.

Last edited by infielddad