Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Coach talking to Admissions"

C24 great stuff!  Congrats on the interest.  I think the above D3 advice is excellent but wanted to add a few things based on our journey with our 2017, especially since you asked if anyone else has been in a similar situation...

Yes, asking for your academic info is the first step, and indicates the coach is interested.  Level of interest unclear, but interested.  No coach ever offered 2017 without seeing his academic info and getting the thumbs up from admission.  Some who did do that never offered (both D1 and D3).  If this is a NESCAC school, then they have a banding concept, similar to the Academic Index for the D1 Ivies, and your scores and grades put you in a tricky position where they might like you in order to "balance" the recruiting class.  My older son was told by a coach that if he went to that school the coach could go out and get two dumb asses, given how high his scores were.  I kid you not.  

Admissions gave the green light for the coach to recruit you, as they have determined you are "academically admissable." So the next step for us was either an offer and/or an unofficial visit in the case of the D3s.  The fact the coach invited you already is another sign of his interest in you.    

Depending on which school this is, the D3 guys get a certain number of slots, just like D1.  The trade off since there is no scholarship money and no National Letter of Intent to sign is that if the coach provides admissions support and uses one of his slots, then the expectation is that you apply early decision, and it is binding.  You probably know all that.

Some schools (MIT and Hopkins come to mind, there are others) do not have the same process and provide a list to admissions. The "recruit" may or may not get in, even if on the list.  So for the school you are talking to, at some point you need to determine where they are in their process (they have 5 of 7 slots filled already for example).  

You should focus on a few things:  

1.  Keep working hard (your pop time is great, your exit velo OK but there is always room for improvement, right?).

2.  Cast a wider net.  If this coach is interested, there are likely others who would be too.  Hopefully you are in touch with other schools.  Trying to play D3 baseball almost requires this!  Plus one offer can lead to other offers.  Your academic credentials are solid so that you should be admissable anywhere, with baseball support (without baseball support, it is rolling the dice like everyone else in the world to get in). So cast a wide net!  Find other schools that are a good fit if you haven't already.

3.  Financial issues:  make sure you and your parents are clear about the costs and financing.  If you will qualify for financial aid, have your parents meet with a FA advisor while on the visit so they understand what may or may not be possible at this particular school.  Some have merit aid for scores like yours, some are entirely need based.  

4.  Prepare questions for your visit to ask the coach. It is entirely appropriate as mentioned above to ask the coach where he sees you, ask about the timeline for the 2018 class (if he hasn't already offered).  But think of a few other questions that show your interest in this school.

5. See #2

As I said, some coaches asked for academic info, some even talked about scheduling a visit, but some of these never manifested into offers.  One NESCAC school spoke in July as if 2017 son was their top recruit, said they couldn't wait to have him come in the fall with the other guys they were lining up and it was going to be a great class, etc.  Admissions had given the green light (he had a very high score and excellent grades so that was never in doubt anywhere really).  This was all after months of communication.  Son didn't hear anything for a few weeks and asked the RC about scheduling the visit.  They never even replied.  I mention this so you know that things can happen -- or NOT happen -- really quickly.  That's why it is good to make sure you have multiple schools where both the academics and baseball are a good fit.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.