Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 decommitting advice"

baseballhs posted:
stayfocused posted:

I say jump ship immediately.....matter of fact I wouldn't even consider it with the $30,000 price tag!   As some of you have seen in my posts over the years, I am a huge advocate of getting the most bang for your dollar.  If you are a Dave Ramsey fan, he says the same thing....absolutely ridiculous to go into any kind of debt (or at least limit the damage) to get a college degree.    Your son can go get two years out of the way at a JUCO, then decide.  Let me say I am not in the top 1% and maybe thats why I am so tight with my dollar.  Also say that my wife and I have post graduate degrees and very good jobs.....just not mega money making jobs.   My son was offered from Mercer....at 25% baseball.  He/We did not even consider it with the $50,000 a year tuition.    I've said this before....the first two years are basically the same whether you are at a JUCO or at the 4 year school.      I will eat lunch tomorrow with four very good friends.....all JUCO grads.  A lawyer, an accountant, a nurse and a college professor.  We all turned out fine.   Furthermore......I would put up an engineering degree from the local State four year school at $17,000 a year against any fancy "prestigious"  school charging $50,000 plus a year.   Go ahead and bash away!!! 

Truthfully, it's not the education that is so valuable, usually it is the connections.

This x's 1000. Part of our research when looking at schools was looking at where alumni were located via LinkedIn.