Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 decommitting advice"

cherylhans posted:

Our son committed to a D3 school back in August.  When we met with coaches, they told us that obviously there is no athletic money, but most of their players received approx 10K in merit money, and they felt very strongly that our son would also receive the same.  We received the financial package last week and he received ZERO!!  We contacted the coach thinking this was a mistake, and his response was, "you'll have to contact financial aid, my hands are tied, sorry about that."  An extra 40K for tuition is not something we were expecting.  It is now very late in the 2020 recruiting season, and I feel we let other opportunities pass us by since he was very happy with where he was going, the school, the coach, the facilities, etc.  We are now thinking about the JUCO route since they are still looking for a few more recruits.  My son is sad, we are sad, and we are not sure what else to do.  We did file an appeal for the D3 school...but not holding our breath.   Is it wrong to de-commit?  Do we reach out to the JUCO coach?  Do we start the whole recruiting process all over?  Is it too late?  Ugghhh.....

Glad to hear in a more recent post that there is other interest boiling.  If there is any consideration being given to staying at this D3, some questions you should be asking yourselves are how interested is this coach to have your son be part of the program, where does he realistically fit into the program and how much of his love of this school relates to baseball?  

Just based on the brief response you quoted, it doesn't seem that the HC is particularly high on your son but that may be a misinterpretation of a very small snapshot.

As others have reinforced, there is definitely nothing wrong with decommitting under these circumstances and it is not too late for other opportunities, including JC, many D2 and D3 and NAIA schools.  Many kids don't make their decision until well into senior season or even into the summer (particularly with JC and some NAIA).  Not ideal but not unusual or impossible.