Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 decommitting advice"

Absorber said it perfectly. Four years ago my son was recruited by Landmark Conference D3 school. Was seen by Pitching Coach in a game, referred to HC, HC's Recruiting Coordinator set up a meeting on campus with Head Coach. Head Coach called him a recruit. HC never saw him pitch but Pitching Coach did. We asked if son had spot on the team. HC response was there is a tryout, that includes every member of the team but we expect your son to be on this team.

The only good thing this was a school he was considering anyway, he did get a generous academic scholarship, and would probably be happy there if he didn't play ball.

Fast forward, 70 players show up for tryouts, Dragged tryout on for a month and a half, son was one of last cuts. There were other "Recruits" also cut. Son was crushed. Has made Dean's List every semester except that semester due in part to the pressures combining first semester away and that the tryout lasted half the semester. His roommate was cut Sophomore year, and HC has even cut seniors after three years. One of their best Senior pitchers quit before Senior year because of how this HC treats "Recruits" I suspect.

Some D3 coaches will say anything I suspect to draw kids in and fill seats at school. I think it's a lousy way to run a baseball program and not fair to players making a college decision. To me the coaches who recruit a player and guarantee first year and have to keep their position after show the most ethics in recruiting.

Remember, D3 schools have no skin in the game, parents and potential players do. We were fortunate my son ended up very happy and successful academically at this school.