Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Help"

I've been thru the D3 "recruiting" process. My son turned down top 25 rated D2 athletic money because he wanted attend to a school close to home. This D3 school is a perennial contender rated in the top 25 nationally every year and every bit as good as any of the D2 and D1 programs in the mid Atlantic region. He is on the team but we feel that the word "recruiting" in D3 is an inappropiate term.
To JT: Let me say that if the D3 school your son is headed to does not over recruit by inviting and having 70 or more players attend the fall try out and has guaranteed him a roster spot then it can't be a contending program and must have trouble attracting players. No offense intended but you need to qualify your statement as to why this particular D3 is different from the top 25 D3 schools.
VJC Baseball's post is a perfect example of this. It is a very small private college that is $8,000/year more then the top rated D3 schools in the mid Atlantic area and will guarantee a roster spot because they have trouble attracting competative talent.
To PIAA_UMP: There is nothing to "sign" to play D3 except an injury waiver that protects the school from liability if he gets hurt. As far as money goes D2 and D1 will "put their money where their mouth is" with athletic scholarship because they can. If your son is receiving academnic money from a D3 he most likely could have gotten the same deal from a D2 or D1 in addition to athletic money if they really wanted him for baseball.