Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Help"

squeeze, unfortunately, I feel you are continuing a banter that is overly broad and quite inaccurate on both the DIII side and on the baseball scholarship side. Your last post even includes a fair amount of, in my view, unnecessary contentiousness flavored with what I interpret to be some "elitism" type thinking. Hope I am wrong.
Our son played for a "top ranked" DIII as you like to call it. Rated as high as 3rd in the country his senior year. He was recruited by a coach who is honest and forthright with his players and recruits. The coach provided explicit ideas and committments to our son and included how he would try and improve every aspect of his baseball/academic experience. The committments even extended to summer leagues/placement and exposure. Are there vagaries in DIII because a NLI cannot be used? Absolutely. Sometimes coaches end up with 20 players in the Fall, 5-8 of whom he never talked with before and sometimes they end up with 10-12, even though 18-20 committed and actually deposited. The DIII my son attended never ended up with 70, or anywhere close to that number, in the Fall but did have a significant increase in interest because of the schools academics and success in baseball. Your experience at one school does not, in my view, translate into or support any type of general statements or standards for DIII as you have narrated them. Your suggestion that you have some "special" knowledge of the recruiting standards for "top DIII's" nationally just does not have any substance. You may want to check. Over the last 3 years, the DIII CWS was won by two West Coast schools and one from Wisconsin. Top DIII baseball is national in scope, whether you want to believe it or not.
On the DI/DII side, the value of a "scholarship" can vary from program to program. Scholarships are renewable annually. If you research DI/DII, which it does not seem you have done, you will find "scholarship" players in the Fall who are neither on the roster in the Spring, they aren't even at that school. That is because the coach made it clear to the player that he would not be playing or taking a roster spot and that the scholarship may not be renewed, either.
Personally, I think you are wrong and continue to show how wrong you are the more you post with broad generalities. The suggestion you have reliable information to apply to all "top DIII's" does a disservice. The optimism you provide to someone on scholarship at a DI/DII is equally wrong, IMO.
Last edited by infielddad