Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Medical Redshirt"

old_school posted:
phillyinNJ posted:
RJM posted:
3and2Fastball posted:
RJM posted:

Dad, I need 15-60K for another year of baseball even though I graduated. 

Dad: Are are f’n nuts? Get a job! 

To allow a kid to stay at college just to play baseball isn’t allowing the kid to grow up and grasp reality. It’s also a bad financial decision for a parent.

I'm with you on that, BUT...son was selected in a doctorate track program already (he is PT), so he will be there for 6 1/2 years anyways regardless if he has an extra year or not.

He would also still be 22 after the 5th year, so....lol

So you are saying that not every kid for whatever reason graduates in 4 years from an HA with 4.0 and awaits to get drafted? That is interesting, while I admit I am embellishing somewhat it seems that on this site that would not be the norm. 

Sarcasm warning if it doesn't come out clear enough via the type. College isn't always easy, baseball isn't always fun and not finishing in 4 years for various reasons regardless if they are self inflicted or not doesn't mean you are terrible parents, will be financially crippled or your kid will be janitor....

Signed 

Loser non college grad parent who has children that have struggled at times during the process but is still financially solvent and kids are growing up quite nicely. 

My son knew going in he had five years to play four. He was coming off an injury and wouldn’t be playing freshman year. I wouldn’t have paid for the fifth year had he not had an educational plan to make it work. 

His plan was to get his BA in three years. He did it. If he was drafted he had his degree. He stayed for the two remaining years of eligibility and got his MBA. The decision had a very positive professional and financial impact on the start of his career.

He got automatic acceptance to a quality B school and his MBA for 25% of what it would have cost. Or he didn’t have to do what I did; sacrifice nights and weekends while working to have my company pay for it. 

Like I stated, educational reasons. 

Last edited by RJM