Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 pitcher development"

@fenwaysouth is right on point. I will add this…. The “norm” in all of college baseball is a lack of player development. A lot of programs give lip service to “how well they develop players” but few schools actually do it. They just claim credit when one of their players has a breakout season after working his ass off for 2 years on his own. The “norm” is what you will get unless you do your homework. There are some tremendous coaches in D3 and some of them are good at player development. Your job is to find them. More specifically, your job is to find a D3 program that has a PC that’s known for developing pitchers. When I want to know something about a program I’m not familiar with I talk to people and ask questions. I talk to scouts, coaches, players, private instructors, etc. Anyone that I think might get me pointed in the right direction. D3 baseball budgets are limited and D3 PCs are often young in their coaching career. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but a guy like that isn’t likely to be good at developing pitchers. In a situation like that you might need to rely on a trusted private pitching instructor. Asking for information on this board is a good start but the information you need will come from boots on the ground legwork by you in the area of the US that your son will play in. Start by talking to MLB scouts in your area. That’s what I did.