Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Practice in middle of classes?"

I am with @HSDad22 on this one that it is wrong to switch practices from after 2 pm to earlier in the day after registration is complete.  There must be a reason.  I disagree with @PABaseball that freshmen have the most flexibility schedule-wise. They have defined core classes to take, and trying to switch class times after registration is over will be a disaster.  There has to be a misunderstanding here regarding the scheduling, as this makes very little sense.   I would advise him to speak to the coach, but if this new practice schedule is really the case, he will have to try to adjust his schedule.  As a parent paying for college, I would not be happy.

Exactly.  Coach's new schedule came out after the single day he had to sign up for classes, The only instruction from coach prior to that was to not schedule anything after 2:00pm (assuming based on game schedule)  The school gives each class a time that the portal opens to sign up, starting with grad and seniors, freshman last.  He was at his computer trying to log in 30 minutes earlier than start time for freshman, having to miss class to do so.    He has specific class prerequisites he has to take and it's a D3 university, they only offer each class at one time.   It's these pre-req classes that are causing the conflict.  He is going to have to take a math class this summer which is a pre-req for his major because it was only offered at 5pm.  There is so little flexibility in the class schedules. School does not have 7am classes, earliest is 9, so everything is packed right in the mid morning to early afternoon and then late.   I think there are more adjunct professors than normal due to covid so many professors work during the day, so a lot of classes are later and there are less offered.

He will communicate with the coach himself.  I will  help prep him but I will not get involved. He's an adult.

I know this has got to be affecting more than a few players on the team, almost all are declared majors and vast majority are stem. And like I said, the school class schedule is not that flexible for anyone.

I'm sure we'll work something out, it's just extremely frustrating because everything to this point was going so well.  Great grades, excellent outings, each one better than the last, distinguished himself with coach and team, exceptional exit interview after fall practice with high future expectations.  And then you find out he can't make 3/4 of the practice times because they are in the middle of the morning, not early morning or late afternoon.  It's not one class that is the conflict.  You have to understand the absolute pain that scheduling his classes was, the horrible portal to do it, you select a class, hit save and see it full, etc.  It was painful.  And then we think we have it settled and then this.

Last edited by HSDad22