Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Practice in middle of classes?"

First this thread started because I was perplexed by a coach scheduling practice when they did and wanted to know by some here if they've seen this before and how their kid handled it.  I'm sure coach didn't do that on purpose for any reason like seeing who's dedicated, I'm sure it was unavoidable, but let's see how flexible he is.  Again this isn't U Texas and it isn't Augie.

Couple of Points:

1. Student-Athlete, not Athlete-Student, if the goal was go to college to improve draft position, that's another story, you can always go back to school after all that's done and take school serious then.  Lot of respect to those that can do both.  But son's priorities are school first, baseball is a bonus.

2. Conflict of a Meeting, Game, etc.  fine, one offs here and there can be worked around with professors/coach. A daily practice that is in the middle of core class time is a bit more than a few classes missed.  But I am sure when he talks to his coach there will be the ability to work around it.  (Thanks Ozone for some coach insight)

3. My wife and I are paying the bills, decisions on all school issues will be a joint discussion between our son and us.  He is fully aware of this without it ever being said.  And our job is to make sure he's thought through all the options and potential risks by us asking him questions and bringing up issues so that he can determine the best course of action, not to dictate what to do.  He knows his guidelines, as in, he will graduate in 4 years or he pays for anything beyond, same deal my parents gave me.  As is, he will leave school with 0 debt, unless he pushes his undergrad past 4 years.  He understands what an advantage that is.

4. I will never, ever, discuss issues with a coach or make myself even known to him by my own actions.  In fact I am not happy there is a parent group organizing the trip to spring training and taking their kids to dinner every night.  I think the coach tolerates it because they do fund raising, but no way I would as a coach tolerate it.  Honestly, I thought that parent involvement shit ended with Travel ball once you no longer had to be the transportation for your kid.  (ie the "look, how's he supposed to get to practice at 4:30, we work for a living")

5. If he is considered a key option on the mound, he will play regardless, I'm pretty sure of that... if his decision is class over ball, and it affects his opportunity to play because a coach is inflexible, then he deals with it and then the tough decision has to be made.

6. Spot the offspeed vs. fastball by the white showing when he breaks his hands, and/or by trajectory and spin.  But you should be guessing anyway based on paying attention.