Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Question"

I think it is very reasonable to ask a recruiting coach, regardless of the level the basic questions of where you (or your son) fits in their recruiting hierarchy. How many new players are they recruiting?, what positions?, where am I on your depth chart, who is playing in the positions you are being recruited for?, what will the make up of the team look like in the fall?, etc, etc. Once you get all of this information you then have to understand the character of the coaching staff that is recruiting you. Talk to former players, current players, parents of players here at HSBBW!.

Once you have the full picture then you are making an informed decision. This is the best you can do with or without an NLI. While the NLI may be comforting, in reality you have to show up and earn a spot regardless what is on the paper. I also believe that many D3’s roster more than 35 players so even if you are guaranteed a “roster spot” unless you make the 25man than your playing time will be limited. No coach worth his salt will guarantee you a 25 man spot.

Going to a program just because you have an NLI, and in reality can’t compete there is the dumbest move a player can make and I can’t tell you how many of my son’s friends have done this. Same situation applies to a D3, know your abilities and understand what level the program is at and go in their with the mind set you are going to earn a spot. It is really not all that complex.

Frankly the questions Jusbaseball posted in “what are your goals?” are the most important questions to ask.