Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Question"

There is one element that is missing from this discussion. Assurances aside, kids must compete and it is through this competition that roster spots and playing time is earned.

When my son went through the recruiting process and he (with our guidance) needed to make a decision we had to evaluate the "risk" of not making the team.

We (my son and I) spent more than one day watching practice and attending games. He needed to really understand the level of play, the players that were on the team and who he would have to compete with if he attended the school. I can not stress how important this level of self-evaluation is in making a decison as to whether to attend or not any given school.

The coaches job is to bring in talent. He can say almost anything; but ultimatly his job is put the best team on the field and anything he says when recruiting is just that "recruiting."

Parents and players, do your job; visit practice, see a few games and assess your game and how it fits any program that you are considering.