Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Rosters and Eligibility"

I'm confused.  D3s have no roster limits, but still, only about 20 players get meaningful playing time, and they all lose their year's eligibility.  Why is this student not best off practicing with the team? otherwise how will he maintain or improve skills?  He can't impress the coaches if he just vanishes; what do you think would happen if he came back next year?  And maybe he will enjoy being around the team.

At least those other kids are actually in a uniform and have a chance to play even if it's just one game. That seems like at least getting something for your year of eligibility.

BTW, not blaming the coach or the school here. More so, it's the NCAA rules here that seem excessive for these situations.

And, yes, there's really little choice here. It's either quit the game, take these scraps, or transfer midyear to a juco...maybe?

FWIW, if anyone could pull off a Rudy story, it would be my friend's son. You're not going to find a kid who loves the game more, respects the game more, stays as far away from trouble as possible, and will fight to his last breath to make a team. I'm rooting for him and seeing him in a uniform next year would be awesome.