Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 Rosters and Eligibility"

This post is for the less experienced people on HSBBW. Although I think @Francis7 didn’t mean it this way, his comment about this player transferring to a JuCo at semester does have implications. It implies that JuCo is the easiest level for a player to make a roster. And while that could be true at one of the worst JuCos in your area, as a generalization it’s very flawed logic. You have to consider regional differences in the level of play in both JuCo and D3 baseball. Then within each region you have to consider the range in talent within each class (JuCo & D3). And you have to consider roster limits. I will use Texas as an example. D3 baseball here is good but not great. Most teams carry large rosters with effectively no limit. Even the D3 JuCos in Texas (and there are only a handful) have roster limits. In Texas the easiest place to make a roster is the lowest level D3 & NAIA programs. If you can’t do that (and tbh it’s hard to imagine why anyone would want to) it’s time to quit playing baseball. At our D1 JuCo in West Texas we will be cutting some kids at semester that could make almost any four year D3 school in the state. Most of the D1 JuCos in Texas ( and a couple of the D3 JuCos) would routinely win a 3 game series against any of the 4 year D3 schools in this region. Primarily because of superior pitching but that’s beside the point. As a generalization, JuCo ball in Texas is better that D3 baseball in Texas. Not that I’m a fan of generalizations. But I wish that people would get educated about JuCo and not look at it as a last resort. It isn’t. Even academically it isn’t. A couple of years ago I advised a local LHP (and his parents) to take an offer from McLennan Community College in Waco - even though they are a conference rival. He is a HA kid from a a HA family so they were skeptical at first. But I convinced them that he could get anywhere from McLennan. Last year Stefan was All Conference on the field and an All American in the classroom. Last week he signed his NLI to attend Rice University next year. JuCo presents more opportunities than limits and it’s high time that people start viewing it that way.