Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 "Slots""

So, this is a complex question as every school does it a bit differently, but the basic method at Swarthmore/Haverford/Hopkins works as A/B/C.  Kids are rated as to athletic talent.  An "A" player is a kid who can change the nature of the teams competitiveness; someone who is a potential All-America or fills a difficult to fill hole (think lacrosse goalie or left handed 90mph pitcher, or stud catcher being stolen from D1) The coach gets maybe one or two of those per year and that kid can be at the very bottom of the NCAA D3 academic rules for mean academic eligibility.  That kid better perform in the classroom AND on the field because the coaches horsepower and credibility with admissions is riding on that kid.

"B" kids are the core of the recruiting class.  They fit the academic profile of the school but they jump to the head of the line because of the academic "tip".  That is what the "tip" is.  The coach gets to make the recruiting scale tip in the "B" kids favor.

The "C" kids are in a tough spot.  They think they are the "B" kids.  The coach is hoping to get them but he knows its 50/50.  Not a tip.  Not a slot.  A hope.  My experience is that most of these kids get in as long as the go ED.  They almost never get in as RD.  Some become stars, some ride the bench.

After the pre-read, if you are smart enough to ask, and then listen to the answer carefully, the coach will tell you exactly where you stand.  Over the years, I have seen so many parents misunderstand the communication!  We all hear what we want to hear.  We love our kids- we think they are geniuses.  Wait until freshman year.  (as an aside I remember my son calling me freshman year and saying "I thought I was a special little snowflake and now I'm in a pile of snow")

I'm reviving this because I think we are about to be having a couple of conversations with some coaches and I want to make sure we ask the right question and get clarity on where we stand.  If a coach gives my son an offer, does he ask if he is getting a "slot" or a "tip?"  Or maybe he just asks what kind of admissions support he will get?

Thanks for any advice about how to have that conversation.

Last edited by LuckyCat