Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 "Slots""

My kids played at a higher level. But I coached kids who went D3. The first two things to look for are 1) Does the coach ask the player to apply early decision? It means he wants he player commuted to the program. 2) Does the coach request the player give him the application to walk it through admissions? It means he has slots where a lesser academically talented player can get pushed through admissions. 

A friend’s son was told he was one of six admission slots and would have an opportunity to be the starting shortstop freshman year. He was. The kid was a borderline ivy (D1) recruit who didn’t get more than “get accepted and you’re on the team.” Of course, he could have got accepted and later told the team had more than thirty-five players and cuts have to be made. The kid could have received offers from lower level academic D1’s.

This particular D3 HA team’s coach didn’t believe in large rosters. He rostered third-two. In the fall twenty-seven kids strutted out to the field thinking they were preferred walk-ons. There were three roster spots available after the slotted recruits and genuinely preferred walk ons.

One of my former travel players was told if he gets accepted he’s on the team. All it means is D3 can have unlimited rosters. The kid was on the team four years and for a total of forty at bats. His only shot to win a second opportunity was have a big game in one of his handful of starts. He didn’t. He never played twice in the same week. But, academically the school was his first choice.

It’s not uncommon for D3 coaches to get bonuses for convincing X number of baseball players to apply and accept admission. It costs the coach nothing when he has an unlimited roster.

These are things that need to be looked for in the conversation. Check for body language and enthusiasm, or lack of from the coach when he’s discussing them. 

Given a few days I’m sure you will get several responses from posters whose kids went D3.