Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 "Slots""

"My son has a teammate trying for MIT.  Super smart.  Could probably get into many HA D3s on his academics alone.  Maybe this will give him an extra bump.". 

I think he better be a kid that gets into "ALL" HA D3 on academics alone to have a chance at MIT.  

Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to get selected for the AZ fall classic academic game as a jr?  How many kids do you compete against for a slot?  Is it even possible for a 5 ft 9 kid to get selected?

At the 2015 jr. fall classic there were 40 outfielders trying out for 12 spots. At the 2017 jr. fall classic there were upwards of 50 for the same number of spots, 12.  I don't think a player's height mattered in the selection.  Hitting the ball hard, having a cannon, and speed, those mattered.

I mention this every time the Fall Classics come up: running the 60 on the "track" at the classics is like running on sand. My guys ran 7.1's or so in AZ after running 6.8s in summer events.

Full disclosure: Each of my boys tried twice (jr/sr) to get picked for the each all academic game and were not selected.  They both now play  for pretty HA and baseball-solid programs that have qualified for D3 regionals in the past couple of years.

Others on the board have had more success via the Classic.  I think our 'success" was that the event helped both my boys understand what pond they should fish in. Once they figured that out, they saved a BUNCH of time by fishing there and not in the big lake they call Gitchee Goomee.

Re: slots at HA D3's, AnotherParent's post nails it.  Both my guys had gpa's and test scores  around the 50% at the schools they are at and both were told by their coaches that they were on their respective lists of 6/7 names the coaches sent to Admissions for ED.

One sailed through, the other changed his mind before he actually applied, went EA elsewhere, that second coach disappeared on him, went back hat in hand to the first coach who told him his slots were used up but to go ahead and apply and if he got in he'd be on the team. So he applied ED2, was waitlisted, followed up with an impassioned letter about how much going there would mean to him, yaddayaddayadda, and he got in. Not the route I'd recommend if you have a choice.