Skip to main content

Reply to "D3 "Slots""

I also encourage you to remember that there are 20 or 30 "top-ten liberal arts colleges."  I'm not being sarcastic.  There are quite a few great schools that almost anyone would agree are in the very top tier academically, and I honestly think "fit" means more than anything else when choosing one of those versus another.  In your position, I'd encourage my son to continue the recruiting process and see if something more definite comes up.  He doesn't have to go somewhere just because he gets an offer--it's worth exploring.  Given what this coach said, he can't reasonably ask your son to stop looking at other schools.

I agree!  I probably said that top ten thing because I was thinking of anotherparent's point in her post about the selectivity of the school.  Perhaps I should have said it has an acceptance rate of under 20%.  In any event, I agree that there are lots of very good schools and that fit is the most important thing.  This school is high on my son's list, top 5 perhaps, but not THE school.  He already has one offer from a school where he thinks he could be happy, and we think another is on the way shortly (fingers crossed) from a school he likes even better, so he is fortunate to already have options.  Truthfully, the financial aid component is going to be important for us, especially since he will be doing this ED.  We've saved and saved, but we still won't be able to pay full sticker price at any of these wonderful institutions.