Skip to main content

Reply to "D3: who has pull, slots, tips, etc?"

Son was a 2011 grad so this information is Old. And only applies to his school

• which coach's (schools) have pull, slot, tips - or whatever name is given - with admissions;
    • No Idea, my son was going to have no problem getting into the school. However I have the impression that most schools in the NCAC,(with the exception of one) the coaches have little pull with admissions. But again my son did not need this assistance.
  • how many kids show up each fall to tryout; 
    • There are typically all the recruited kids plus a handful of others. One or two walk-on's usually make the fall roster. Many of those walk on's do not make it to spring, however it is usually their own doing. Issues with Grades or being on their own the first time. 
  • where and when (his HS yr) was your son seen;
    • Not sure, Son was invited to several invite only showcases, as a rising senior. Only one D3 reached out that summer. Others waited until fall of his senior year. Many of the coaches recruiting him saw him at a Showcase called the Buckeye Scout. (now defunct. The The scout that ran it is now with PBR Ohio. There was also a showcase put on by Walsh Jesuit every year. 
  • can a kid be in the lower half of the incoming academic class stats;
    • Athletes academics match the general schools academics in the NCAC. (possibly one exception). So they have the same chances as anyone else with there academics. They may be slightly less than the other kids with Academics, If the non athlete has another talent, such as a musical instrument, great voice, or Art portfolio, that advances him past the others. Athletics is not considered a special talent. 
  • if your son has already experienced one season, did he play summer college ball, and if so, where.
    • First summer he did not like his opportunities. So he played with his travel team for an additional summer. Next year he played in the Great Lakes league and then The Valley league, the summer after that. Used to be his school did not send any freshman further than some local leagues. Now I am seeing more go to the great lakes ans some in the prospect. Coach like to send hitters to the prospect and pitchers to the Great Lakes. Most important he wants the hitters to get playing time. And pitchers to get some work but not too much work. 

This all mostly applies to my sons's school and the NCAC. And it is very old.