Skip to main content

Reply to "Dad, it doesn't help...."

Can we also include coaches in this one? Well let me do it anyway. We want players to focus 100 percent of their attention to playing the game. A kid is at the plate. He is trying to do what I believe is one of the toughest things to do in sports and that's hit. He trying to put 100 percent of his focus on doing just that. And now his coach is coaching him from the 3B box, the 1B box and from the dugout while he's trying to do it. Then there are the constant reminders to the pitcher. Stride, don't over stride, throw strikes, etc etc. The constant reminders to infielders, stay down, come get it, know where your going, etc etc. Then there is the body language you constantly speak about that you don't listen to yourself. A kid makes an error and you hang your head, puff your cheeks, scream out, stare down, etc etc. I could go on and on. But one thing I have always said is if you coach your players properly in practice you won't feel the need to coach them when their performing. Your players should draw confidence from your confidence in them. They should see you as their ace in the hole not the hole in the as_.

Yes we have all been those guys and gals. But we learn. We sure better. And these threads help big time to those who honestly admit it and take it in. Your happy and giddy on the ride home when your son plays well. You always stop and get a nice meal and everything is great. Your always a total AH when he doesn't play well. You want to get straight home. Your demeanor is obvious to your child.

I coach my players like they were all my own son's. I understand the pressure they are under from Mom and Dad. I understand that some put tremendous pressure on themselves already. I understand that sometimes some need simply a pat on the backside. Some need you to look at them and say "Who cares it's one at bat." Coach the heck out of them in practice. Instill confidence and a process. Give them a game plan for success and then help them get there. And when it's game time sit back and watch them do their thing. Let them know you got their back no matter what. As a parent I can tell you I understand. But for you guys going through this right now you better be more concerned with the relationship than anything else going on right now. Good Luck