Skip to main content

Reply to "Dad, it doesn't help...."

By the time my son was 11 he knew everything and wanted no chit chat from the old man.  He was a pretty dominate travel player and 15 for 19 weekends were common.  But every once in awhile the slump would come and he'd have a 2 for 16.  Either way I had already learned not to puff him up when things were rolling or to offer suggestions when it was going the other way.

After a tough weekend, we'd be driving home and he'd be sitting in the stew and by the time we got near the house he'd say something like - "Can we go to the cage?"  All I'd say was "Sure"  I'd buy  bunch of tokens and he'd swing 20 times getting madder and madder and I stood and waited.  

Finally I'd get "What do you think?"  Usually it was something easy like opening up too soon so I'd offer up "stay closed and push the ball the other way or up the middle.  The first one he squared up got a "That's it"  and then after a couple more - "There you go".  After another few tokens of line drives and restored confidence he'd say "I'm good - I'll get'em next week - let's go eat."  Order in the Universe had been restored.

If it is true your life flashes before your eyes when you die - I am sure those times will come again.  God I miss that.