Skip to main content

Reply to "Dan Duquette Sports Academy Tournament"

I too was at the Dan Duquette's sports Academy Memorial Day tournament in Hinsdale. Son had a blast. It wasn't cooperstown Dreams Park but far better then other tournaments we've played in. Shipbuilder, we actually played the Hammerheads on Sunday afternoon at Wahconah Park, son plays on the Nashua Knights. That was a heck of a game! I didn't stay with the kids but all their comments were positive about the experience. I also agree that the quality of umpires was all over the place. Our first game the ump behind the plate had to be one of the best I've seen ever. Actually went uo to him after the game to let him know it, 99.5% consistent with his strike zone the whole game for both teams. Now the rest of the umps were a different story. Inconsistent strike zones, bone head calls on the bases, refusals to ask the other umps for help on blown calls etc..you saw it yourself..so you know what I mean. Other then some shady umps (we also questioned if they picked them up off the streets as their uniforms and general appearance was old and tattered..lol) and one team that had no business playing there it was an enjoyable tournament, one I hope the program continues to play in for future years.

Now 7 of the 8 teams were run of the mill AAU teams and then there was the Select team that also was there. I hope they enjoyed their plastic trophies because they hardly earned them. Kids on that team probably didn't have an enjoyable time either creaming everyone. But hey they now have a big notice on their website congratulating them on winning the tournament. They had no business playing in that tournament....they have a normal 14U AAU team but felt compelled to bring the big boys instead. That took some of the shine off of the weekend in my opinion.