Skip to main content

Reply to "Data driven analysis of Astro's cheating"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

just because a team(s) may have beaten the Astros during the period they were known to have cheated doesn’t mean we should look the other way? That’s kind of a silly approach. “Yeah, we know they were trying to win by cheating, but because they lost or we cannot quantify the efficacy of their methods, we have to give them a free pass.”

That doesn’t fly with me. If they were breaking a known rule with the intent of gaining an advantage in the game, they need to be held responsible, regardless of the outcome of their efforts.

Agreed.  But it's still interesting to see how effective the cheating really was, and how many additional wins it resulted in (to see the impact) and how it impacted players stats.  This is in no way to excuse what they did.  If the cheating is shown to be totally ineffective and had no impact at all (didn't result in extra wins or higher OPS number or adversely affected a pitcher's stats), it still doesn't make it right.  It would just be interesting info for me (and I assume for others also).