Skip to main content

Reply to "Davidson"

Oski - Glad you visited Davidson.  Here are a few more of my observations.

The football team used to be horrible, winning -0- to one or two games a year.  Then about three years ago, the AD was replaced and so was the football coach.  The team immediately got better.  In 2019, they either led or were near the top in some offensive statistics, don't recall which.  Of course this is a function of competition among other things.  But I bring up football because of the improvement.  It was as if the board and / or president thought, "We're better than this.  We can't settle for sub-mediocrity in sports, we wouldn't in academics."  They clearly care about winning in baseball as well.

The president Carol Quillen is very engaged with the student body, not unlike many liberal arts schools presidents, but she is extra-visible and known personally by students and parents.  Her annual comp is on the low end of peers and that reflects the school's focus on instruction, not administration.  The AD is modestly compensated also.  

The school does emphasize service.

Greek system is fairly low-key.  There are fraternities but no sororities, the girls have eating houses.

If your boy wants a city feel, you know that Davidson may not be his place.  However, I think a lot of kids (at least mine) don't really know what they like.  My boy wanted a NE school and had been to Davidson a lot so he knew the feel, still I would have liked his being there.  Add that to the long list of things that we don't feel the same about.

You mention academics.  I think Davidson is like most of the better liberal arts schools.  The professors have a reputation for giving a lot of homework but I think that depends on a kid's HS experience.  

Keep us updated on your boy.

Last edited by Texas1836