Skip to main content

Reply to "DBAT MUSTANGS"

Marshals.rule....

I have read your posts, and I am not sure how any organization(s) "corner the market" or "control select baseball in DFW", but you seem to be certain that it can be done. I would think if that were true, it would have already been done and this entire discussion would not be happening.

My understanding is the Marshals (one L) have been left in the very capable hands of Brett McCabe, a great baseball guy (he coached my son at 14) and a fine person. So it doesn't sound to me like they are going "away". I have no idea what the Marshalls are doing.

As the parent of neither a DBatter or Mustang, I would like to provide my perspective. Maybe it isn't about the money, maybe it is about WINNING (not just going to compete) in national events. I agree that the DFW area has the talent in ballplayers, but not enough talent for 3-6 teams to WIN on the big stage, but certainly enough for 1-2 to have a really great chance. At the end of the day, parents and players are in the same position they have always been, decisions about where and who to play for are made. "Little Johnny" will either make a team or he won't. That isn't much different this year than in years past. There are still options, and if you don't like one or don't get one, there will be other opportunities.

Some will see this as the glass half-full, other as half-empty. As a half-full kind of guy, I think the opportunity for young men to compete at a very high level (or at the highest level they are capable of playing) is what this is all about, and I think most of the players would like the opportunity to TRY to play on this team (but of course not all will be selected). But if "little Johnny" doesn't make it, it isn't the end of the world and there will be somewhere for him to play, maybe even for another DBATSTANG team. Again, that isn't any different after the merger than it was before. I think it can be a good thing, and time will tell. I have already stated on another post that the MSL was one of the best things that happened for my son's baseball life, and these are the same guys (and there were some nay-sayers about that as well). I know there are a lot of details to be worked out, but I don't see any reason why they can't be successful at this venture, and I don't think the world of baseball in DFW has really changed all that dramatically in the last 24 hours.

Good Luck to Sam, Cade and Shayne. (oh, and if you use DBATSTANG I want a royalty payment)