Skip to main content

Reply to "Dead Ball...I have two base award! Does anyone have an NFHS RULE"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
NewUmpire posted:

SECTION 1 DEAD BALL ART. 1 . . . Ball becomes dead immediately when:

i. a fielder, after catching a fair or foul ball (fly or line drive), leaves the field of play by stepping with both feet or by falling into a bench, dugout, stand, bleacher, or over any boundary or barrier such as a fence, rope, chalk line, or a pregame determined imaginary boundary line; or

I don't think this applies....the OP said the fielder went into dead ball territory then picked up a ball laying on the ground in foul territory not past whatever marked dead ball territory.   I think that in this case, it's a live ball,as it was fair when it crossed the bag making a fair ball that ended up in foul territory.  I'm not sure that the fielder being in dead ball territory then picking it up makes it a dead ball.  It would seem that by doing that he could have gained an advantage....say maybe taking away a triple or an inside the park homer.  I'm thinking it's a fair ball and play continues even after he picked it up since he didn't have the ball in his possession BEFORE he went into dead ball territory

So is it two bases from where the runner is at when the ball is picked up? If he is on his way to second does he get second and third. Or is it from when the ball is hit?