Skip to main content

Reply to "Dead Period Extended to Aug 31"

I wasn't saying its happening, it was a comment made by someone who's only seeing d3 coaches signed up for events.  I bet you a D3 school could pick off a D1 talent though.   Its July, D1 spots this year are tough, all the top schools have filled up their slots.  The draft was 5 rounds.  Seniors came back.  Sure there are a lot of less competitive less academic D1 schools with spots open.   There are also a lot of highly competitive good to great academic D3 schools with 8-10 spots to fill.   You read that comment and you are thinking what - P5 level talent, one level down D1?  Yeah, that isn't going to happen if their focus is high end baseball.  They prob wouldn't get patriot league hopefuls. But good players who are hanging out there right now with slots filling up and dead periods getting extended why is it unreasonable to think a very high end D3 couldn't pick of D1 talent.  Why is that a joke? You clearly understand the environment out there right now.

My 2021 probably fits into this very specific category of player.  A HA borderline D1/D3 case. Through the Fall, lots of interest from D3, some interest from D1 pending an impressive summer where he could show improvement.  Well, that's a legitimate challenge now.  Given the situation, D3's are pressing, and D1's are either just going with the kids they saw and liked earlier, not adding many more bodies, or waiting for showcases.  And even then they can only observe via livestream and can't connect in person.  No campus visits, overnights, private workout, etc.  All of the interpersonal character stuff that HA's value.  The kinds of normal process that potentially could have pushed my  son from one category to the other given how close he is on the metrics side. Frankly, it's not really a big deal to him, he's just looking to land at the right school and a majority of them he likes are D3. But he does fall into the tight description in a very peculiar and difficult to navigate year.