Skip to main content

Reply to "Dealing with a Bad Team"

Nuke83 posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Well I for one am confused. 

At my sons school in GA, a supposed baseball hotbed, there is no longer Fall baseball, there is no longer summer baseball with the high school team, they actually wrote a georgia high school sports law banning that practice.  Kids tryout in January, high school team plays until April/May, then the kids join their travel summer team.

Is that pretty much what you have now?

Not true.

Cobb County HS teams are playing fall schedules as I type this.  Also, there are summer HS teams.

The GHSA calendar must be followed which limit contact months, so typically the summer teams will be coached through June with HS coach and the summer is finished with a volunteer coach (typically a former college player associated with the school).  Likewise for fall.  Various experienced former players, pro scouts, or long time travel coaches with some connection to the school will coach.

Now whether schools choose to field summer or fall teams is another matter, but no rule banning the practice.

Sorry, not the same in Cherokee for Fall.  They stopped that a few years ago.  As for summer teams I believe the rule says something like the coach can have one but no player will be compelled to play on it.  If a coach is found to be pressuring players to be on a summer team there are pretty bad consequences.