Skip to main content

Reply to "Dealing with Bad Umpires"

Lot of things need to be clarified before I can be clear.....the first thing is what level of ball are we talking about?........since this is a HS site, we often default to that level, but it is summer and summer rec ball is a whole other world....

Are these umpires from a contracted independent association or league supplied?....if from a contracted association you understand that your are the client and going to the assigner with your concerns is the proper path....

If they are league supplied, then you are at the mercy of who they hire......any untrained, unqualified, uncertified applicant or teenage HS player willing to accept the fee is acceptable....

In game, there is little you can do about a bad umpire, Coach gives you good advice about what to do while in game, by being polite, professional and knowledgeable.

Many Umpires who are "ultra sensitive, defensive and "eject" for the slightest comment usually are lesser experienced or untrained. Don't emulate what you see on TV from coaches......an earl weaver imitation in a youth summer rec game is never met well......regardless of the quality of the umpire...

I have a low ejection rate, not because I dont eject, but because I do eject...if you earn it you go....I will discuss anything with you....but if you violate one of the 3 P's you have to go...

Personal- Dont get personal...calling names, personal comments are never met well...

Profane- swear and your gone...

Prolonged- if you won't let it go, eventually we have to get on with the game...say your piece and move on....

Each umpire has his own toleration level....so be careful....if you want on my bad side, just tell me to "call it both ways".....might sound harmless to you.....but my integirty is everything to me and being called a cheater is something I dont tolerate well.....

So, Watch your language, and try not to get thrown out of the game. if you get ejected and then file a protest, your behavior, can be held against you...

Never argue a rule if you dont know it.......nothing is more embarassing than to argue a rule and be in the wrong.....plus umpires talk and respect is hard to regain after prooving you are less than proficient in rules knowledge....

Again if its higher baseball, then its best to go to the association or assigner, it is a business after all and we supply a service to our clients....if it isnt good, we need to act on it.

Overall I think that in HS baseball we are seeing better umpires on the whole. BUT it is limited because of availability..The early starts often rule out the better umpire.....oftentimes, the umpire you get is not the best umpire, just the most available umpire...the retiree...etc...

The last point is that there are umpires out there that should not be doing the job....if it was easy anyone could do it and they cant....but because of the chronic shortage of umpires, they keep showing up.....

best of luck....