Skip to main content

Reply to "Dealing with committing when teammates/friends aren't"

GARYME,

Since he is one of the first on his team, possibly they don't know how to react.  It is definitely strange and disturbing.   Hopefully, he can help others (who ask) with their recruitment as a way to turn this into a positive.

So, I can give you another perspective that is vastly worse.  Half the kids on your son's travel team announce their commitments and decide the season is over leaving the other half to continue their recruitment on their own.   This was the case with my son's national travel team.  That is right, half the kids accepted their D1 offers and went home leaving the rest of the team in a lurch.  This had nothing to do with the kids...it was the parents.   There was enough depth and talent that the team could be competitive, but it was devastating to my son who had always been a team player for many years.

So, Karma can be a real screaming and raging bitch...   So, my son and another kid were the last two to verbally commit to their respective D1s from this national travel team.  They were among (only) 4 kids from that original national travel that were still playing by their senior year in college.   Ironically, the kid who committed last from this national travel team is still playing in the minors.   Clearly the ones who committed early on and left the team in a lurch.....chose very poorly.  

Just my experience....