Skip to main content

Reply to "Dealing with committing when teammates/friends aren't"

I have been greatly surprised how well my son's teammates and their parents have been excited for my son.  We moved into a small town in the middle of the year last year.  New town, new team, new player, new family.  My son had already committed to P5 but that brings a whole other set of problems.  Expectations were crazy high and no one knew what to expect.  My son produced on the mound, in the field, and at the plate.  He got all kinds of awards throughout the year and into the summer.  But I will have to say all the players as far as I can tell, all the parents, have been very excited for him.  I know it helped that they were expected to have a poor season and made it to final 8 in the state.  You never know how people will respond but I think as has been said it also depends on the player and his parents responses that affect others the most. 

Isn't it a new world that we judge whether people like us or are excited for us or not by whether they like, or retweet, or follow our responses on social media.  My son was asked by a family friend if he did not like a certain player on his travel team because he did not retweet this players commitment to a college.  My son answered, no.  I was with him when it happened so I just said great job dude and we talked about it at dinner but it was assumed he didn't like it or the kid since he didn't retweet it.