Skip to main content

Reply to "Decision to be drafted or go to college"

There are differing views on this subject and a very important one. The motivation to choose is simply a personal choice based on personal priorities. Being a parent of a player that was drafted in the 5th round out of high school, but chose to attend college instead, let me give you OUR process for attending college.
First, I say “OUR” because our son wanted his mother’s and my guidance throughout the process. He knew that I want him to play professional baseball as much as he wanted. Secondly his mother is a college graduate and I never attended college so he knew our advice would not be completely one-sided.
We tried to detach emotions from the decision which is very difficult to do. Secondly, we asked for advice from everyone. I was surprised that some former players that passed on professional baseball and went to college, suggested that he go pro. Other players that played professional ball suggested he go to college. You take all the information you can, look at your son, size him up emotionally, his maturity level, his attitude, his strengths, his weaknesses, and you set down with him and give him the best advice you can. You tell him the final decision is his and you will support him no matter what his decision. You look at each other and then he’ll ask the most important question in this whole process…… “What do you think I should do Dad?”
Best of luck,
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Last edited {1}