Skip to main content

Reply to "Defense?"

No arguements here. As a former pitcher, my job was to get the ground balls, pop-ups, let my defense do their job. As a pitching coach, I stress the same thing. It's not one one one, it's a team game...and as a former coach always stressed..."9 on 1 baseball". That's not bad considering others sports are 5 on 5 or 11 on 11. I'll take 9 against 1 any day. But, those other 8 guys (and the pitcher as the 9th fielder) must do their job. So many times we hear...pitching & defense wins championships. If pitchers and fielders do their jobs, you only need a run (sometimes 2 or 3) to win the game. And, you can score those runs with base hits, bunting, moving guys over, going deep into counts and drawing walks. I think there are selfish players out there that don't want to bunt or take pitches...because of the whole "Sportscenter Mentality". Do players actually know that a SAC bunt does not hurt their average? Do coaches tell them that? Occasionally, you do find a kid or two that stays after practice to take extra fungos. It's a rarity...almost as rare as seeing kids playing pickup games at the park. It's sad that most kids would rather leave practice right away to go spend time with Suzie or finish that PS2 game. Spend the extra 30 minutes to make yourself better...it's what you do after practice that counts! (I'm not claiming that phrase as my own by the way!)