Skip to main content

Reply to "Defensive timeout"

Well, you're no help.
What difference does it make if the post is 10 years old? Has something changed in the meantime?

You did not address the solution to the dilemma. The issue that you didn't address is how would you prevent the ss from simply holding the ball while watching the 2 monkeys jumping
On and off the bases?
Did you not read my post? Would you force the ss to throw the ball somewhere (p, 3rd or 1st)? Would you tell the runners to return to their bases. In either case, the ump has no right to do those things IF he is ruling the play is not "relaxed" (although you'll have to show me that term in the rule book.
Or would you simply let the situation run itself out until
The game is called
For darkness?
I can only think of one other choice: GET YOUR
HEAD OUT OF YOUR
BUTT AND GRANT
TIMEOUT.
If you can't understand the situation (which I think you did), either ask me for clarification or if, you can, give me the solution. Noting that someone is an experienced umpire means nothing to me unless it is accompanied by good judgement.

I guess the coaches who are teaching the kids to jump on and off the bases are simply taking advantage of a situation not addressed in the rulebook because the
Rulebook assumes that the
Ump would grant timeout since the runners were not attempting to advance to the next base. Your response coupled with responses of the "experienced" umpires here indicate that perhaps the hope that the umps have good judgement is misplaced.
So unless you have and actual solution, you can skip responding to me. In other words, give me a solution other than calling time out and throwing the coach out of the game so the ump can save face because he didn't exercise good judgement to begin with. (Or maybe you think that is a good solution?)
I'd like you to picture what would happen if some ump wouldn't grant timeout in an MLB
Game with someone like sparky Anderson was the manager. My guess is that the ump would have done his last game.

Perhaps you can cite an example where a MLB ump has ever not granted timeout in a similar situation. I doubt it but I am always anxious to learn.

If you choose to respond again, please give me the solution. So far you're not even close.
I'd love to know what level of baseball you've attained and at what position. If you're even halfway accomplished and played an infield position, please tell me when you were not granted a timeout when you asked and how you resolved that. Just curious.
Thanks for playing.
Ps. I just re read your response to me. If the ss is holding the ball and waiting for one of the runners to ACTUALLY advance, is that not a reasonable strategy by the ss? And since I am sure(?) you'll agree that it is, how long would you allow this to go on? PLEASE "use your head".
(Somehow I am guessing that you're next response won't be any better than your last but I am cautiously hopeful.
Perhaps you can also give me a definition of relaxed and where I can find that term in a rulebook. I've never seen it but I could haves missed it.

Sent from Tom Myslik IPhone

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 4:18 PM, HS Baseball Web <alerts@hoop.la> wrote:
>
>